Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are lots of potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as harmful as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Cleveland to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts in Cleveland at 440-252-1375 to learn more.