Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Put in a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Power off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep young ones and pets away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 440-252-1375 today and ask how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.