When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Cleveland, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Cleveland or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.