Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat to come back in to home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the Cleveland heat out and help your air conditioner thrive through the remaining days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the very least, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or revealing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave as an alternative to your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may create heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and block some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is operating as it should be and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Cleveland or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working as it should be.